HOW TO START, BUILD AND GROW...
YOUR BRAND, NETWORK AND CAREER
Note: PMI California Inland Empire Chapter is a non-profit organization endorsing and in support of Project Management Institute. The information on this page is intended to provide value-add products and services to its membership. PMI-CIE does not claim to have exclusive rights or guarantee use of recommendations provided.
...PROVIDES TIPS AND TECHNIQUES TO INCREASE YOUR AWARENESS, FOCUS AND INTENT TO MAXIMIZE YOUR ROI IN YOUR PROJECT MANAGEMENT LIFE
WHY IS BUILDING A BRAND IMPORTANT?
- Developing a brand will help you to manage your reputation both online and in real life.
- How To Build Your Personal Brand in 6 Easy Steps
- Building your own personal brand is a lifetime process, not a one-time event. So don't procrastinate, start now!
- Visit our overview on the importance of Networking and Social Media
- Visit our PM Toolkit for ways to create your bio, elevator speech, etc.
START: 5-Easy Steps to Create Your Online Brand
- Setup two (2) email addresses; one each for your professional and personal network - this keeps people out of your business until you decide otherwise
- Read basic information on the importance of Networking and Social Media
- Setup a LinkedIn account...if you don't already have one! This is a must-have if you want to remain current and competitive in today's job market
- Setup a Facebook account that you can share with your professional network
a. "Like" our Facebook page at PMI California Inland Empire Chapter, or click on the link from our homepage
- Set a Twitter account that you can share with your professional network
a. "Follow" our Twitter account @PMICIE (and @ThePMLife...if you so choose)
BUILD: Your Professional Network
- LinkedIn.com --> search for target companies within your network and follow up to get introduced to the Hiring Manager
- "Follow Company" --> for the ones you targeted and monitor for job opportunities
- Company website --> search for jobs in your target companies
- Ask to be introduced or introduce job seekers to someone in your network who works for the targeted company
- Join LinkedIn Groups --> join the ones in your area of interest
- Join TheLadders.com --> subscribe for a few months, network with recruiters in your targeted industries
- Join Indeed.com --> search for the word "PMO" in jobs searches returned from agents (setup for Project, Program, Portfolio, PMO, Business Analyst, etc.) to find Companies with PMOs who invest in their PMs
GROW: Your Social Network
- Read: Decide on a Purpose Before Working a Room to Have a Better Time~ Lifehacker, March 2, 2012
- Join the LinkedIn Groups for your professional associations, industry, interests...be resourceful and creative in your search and grow your network!
- Follow the Top Project Management Influencers on Twitter as individuals and organizations can be a good resource for your daily work if you want to stay updated on project management tips and work processes like @pmicie and @ThePMLife